Thursday 4 February 2016

The Gnarled Tree

In my last post I eluded to a more painful déjà vu that I experience while digging around the family tree.  What I am referring to is a tad bit taboo. The marrying of cousins. I know, the first reaction is like sucking on a lemon or smelling sour milk. Let's just be happy that it occurs less now than it did in the past.

I use an online application that makes a wonderful graphic of my family tree for me as you we have all come to expect it to look.  It's handy.  It gives you a master view at the bottom...so you can see just HOW BIG it is...



The bottom row represents the family of one of my 4 grandparents. ONE. The second row are my great grandparents and my great grandfather's cousins. So ... many ... people. 

Sometimes this program glitches out on me and shows crossed lines and double people where their shouldn't be, which causes me to groan. The issue isn't so much the program as it is my family tree. Let's talk about the Pugh family.

Hugh Pugh and his wife Elizabeth Williams came to Canada in the range of 1835-1840. They came with some of their 15 adult children whom also had children. The number of Pugh's that landed in Pickering township must have been terrifying. Okay I kid a little. The child of theirs that happens to be my 3rd great grandmother Elizabeth Pugh married James T White, the son of some English settlers who had come to the area at the beginning of the 1830's. James White was one of 7 children born to his parents.  Apparently one of the other White children, William White, took a liking to Elizabeth Pugh's sister, Mary Pugh - as they got married sometime around 1850 and had 5 children.  This makes Elizabeth and James White's 8 children and Mary and William White's 5 children: double first cousins. This is part of the reason my tree glitches out when I try to view the Pugh people.   There are other reasons too, though and then this comes to mind:

from meiphoto.com

The number of descendants that come from Hugh Pugh and Elizabeth Williams, at this moment to me, is an  unknown number. What is known to me however, are the instances when some of them would marry each other.  Pickering township wasn't a particularly small place - it had several hamlets, towns, villages - all which had a few Pugh descendant families. So it isn't terribly surprising there was some distantly generational mixing going on, right? I try to tell myself it isn't weird. A rudimentary illustration of what a computer program can't handle...paper to the rescue!!  This is an example of what happens when two families have some intermingling....









No comments:

Post a Comment