Tuesday 28 July 2015

Have You Wondered?

...Where do you get your set of values?

I'm sure many of us can point to family, religion, and our general up bringing as the harbinger of our web of values but I feel like I know that there is a great invisible hand which attempts to work its magic on us. What am I getting at?  Take a look at this bathroom graffiti:

wall, writing

"Books Before Boys B/C Boys Bring Babies!" and written below in a different colour although it is not evident, and presumably by another person is, "Love This! Education gives you choices!"

I've been debating sharing the toilet poetry, the profane and the profound scribbles I find for a while but this just pushed me over the edge.  It is this type of benevolent bathroom education that no one asks for but for better or worse given passively.  I have divided opinions about the piece because I've come to learn that life isn't always as clear as right and wrong or good and bad. Is this message bad? Perhaps. Is it misguided, most likely. The more I stare at the two statements the more I feel like these two people are on completely different pages. You can have boys and an education, you can have boys and no babies, you can have babies and education, you can have no boys, no babies and still no education, you can have books, no boys, no babies and no education...or, maybe, you can have everything you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment